I don't like to use this blog as a soapbox to tout my convictions and ideals, which is largely why I have remained silent on this forum for as long as I have. But, I have to pull out the soap box for a few moments tonight. I might later expand on these thoughts in later blog posts. Maybe not. We'll see. I feel like I need to be honest on here, which is the main point in keeping this blog. 15 things I need to get off of my chest. Not all of these qualify for Soapboxing, but they still need to be said. So here goes nothing.
1. My faith in God is a huge important part of my life.
2. Judgmental people irritate the living crap out of me. I know, I know. We are ALL guilty of this at one time or another. In fact, I guess I am judging judgy people just by saying I don't like Judgy people. One of my favorite quotes is by Mother Theresa. She said, "If you judge people, you have no time to Love them." I try to make this my life's credo. I am only human, however, and have oftentimes failed in this area.
3. I'm a geek. This does not effect my family negatively, nor does it hinder my faith in God at all. I love science fiction, musical theatre, RPG's, Steampunk, Renaissance faires and reading books. Lots of books. Including Harry Potter. Narnia. The Hobbit. And, no, I don't think ANY of these books or interests are evil. I might even be convinced one day to read about sparkly vampires. I love a good book that is well written, full of imagination, and has a great "good triumphs over evil" plot line. And imagination and expression oneself is very important to me.
4. I don't home school my children. I have a lot of respect for those of you who do. I think that is a great and valid way to educate your children. But, it is not for everyone. One of my previous posts goes into a little more depth on this subject- and it is a bit of a touchy subject for me.
5. I'm mildly "earthy-crunchy". I wouldn't mind even being more so, but I'm just not that organized. I believe in peace, love, and Joy. I believe in making this world a better place to live in. I believe it is important to take care of God's creation- plants, animals, and environment alike. I could get into greater depth here, but I suppose I might just save this for a later post.
6. Politics are just an organized (?) way to argue with other people. You have the far left and the far right and anyone in between, and no one seems to be able to get along. I can respect other people's opinions, and I would hope that others can respect mine.
7. It is never a good idea to insult the military to my face. Or near me. Ever. I am a Coast Guard wife and proud of it. Many of my friends currently serve in the military, and they span all of the branches, and I respect and am proud of all of them.
8. I'm currently earning my bachelors in ministry and my bachelors in psychology. And I love it. :)
9. I have a diverse group of friends, and I love all of them.
10. I am very defensive of my friends and family. When one of them is hurt, I hurt.
11. Miracles are everywhere. I've had many in my own life. This only solidifies my faith in God.
12. I know I am not perfect. I know I am not always right. I know I sometimes piss people off (unintentionally... mostly). And I am grateful to every single person in my life who loves me anyway.
13. It saddens me when I lose a friend. I realize that death is a part of life. I don't believe death is the end, which does give me comfort here. However, it saddens me more when I lose a friend and it is not because of death, but because of a difference of opinion.
14. I am proud of each one of my brothers and sisters. I love them all more than I can ever write in words. And I miss them terribly.
15. My parents may not have been perfect, but they were perfect enough for me. They loved me, made sure I got a good education, and spent time with me and my siblings making memories. They taught me what family means and the importance of Faith.