Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Eccentric is Acceptable Crazy

People spend their lives constantly trying to fit in. I am no exception. No one wants to be the black sheep in the family or the odd ball out in a group of friends. When I was a kid I remember being asked at Camp what was something I always wanted to do. I did not answer that I wanted to tour Europe or write a novel. No. I confidently answered that I would like to ride on a dragonfly. I knew, of course, that this was something I would never be able to actually achieve. And it was refreshing to have a group of people not think I was totally nuts. At that point in my life I began to realize that I did not need to strive to fit in but that I could just be myself. I might look at things a little differently, and I might be a tad eccentric, but that is perfectly acceptable.

No comments: