Wednesday, June 16, 2010

An Old Salute to a whole new Graduating Class :)

I wrote the following two years ago when my sister graduated high school. I thought it was appropriate to post here. :)

Ever wonder how sometimes you get caught up in your own things that you don't even notice that life is passing you by? Every day, it seems, I have these moments. That's what life is made up of, I know. But, it seems that from one moment to the next is just a blink and it is gone. I treasure those moments life throws at me, but it seems like as soon as I appreciate- truly appreciate- one thing, that thing is gone and I have to move to the next thing.




Take, for example, school. Some of you might still be in school, so you won't be able to relate. For those of you who are no longer a student, you will understand this. When you are in school, you are constantly wondering when it will be over so you can get on with the rest of your life. You worry about grades, projects, which girls or guys like who, what your so called best friend said about you last weekend, and how you just want to end it cuz life royally sucks. And then, in a blink, it is over with. You put on that cap and gown, and walk toward the rest of your life. You smile that huge "Suckers!" smile, and pitch that cap as high into the air as your girly arm can throw it. (Oh, c'mon, we aren't all Babe Ruth!)



Then comes the moment where you have to actually decide what to do with the rest of your life. I find it ironic that at this point in life, when you are still figuring out who you are and how you fit into this crazy world, you have to make a choice that will seal your fate for the next 60 or so years.



Then, that moment is gone. Your life has gone down that path of no return. Next thing you know, you are looking back over the years wondering what happened.



And that is when you look at your kids and think, dang, it doesn't seem that long ago when I was that age.... Or you suddenly realize your kid sister is no longer a kid, but a adult stepping into a foreign adult world. Seriously, where does the time go? I guess Time is constantly going to be moving, and the moments in life will continue to hurdle at us. The thing that is left for us to do is treasure each of those seemingly invisible moments and make the most of what our lives are.



So, to my sister, who apparently grew up over night, Congratulations. I am so proud of you. And to the rest of you, enjoy life. Treasure the good times. Learn from the bad. Make a dent on this big blue rock we call Earth. After all, we have just one shot, so let's make it a good one!

No comments: